Just so everyone knows… there has NEVER been a successful partisan filibuster of a #SCOTUS nominee in the history of the US #Senate.
– Republican Senator Mitch McConnell, March 29, 2017, leader of the first successful partisan filibuster of a SCOTUS nominee in the Senate
[Neil] Gorsuch filibuster would be 1st ever. Not even divisive [Clarence] Thomas nomination filibustered. Truth is D[emocrats] will filibuster anyone @POTUS nominates.
– Republican Senator Marco Rubio, March 28, 2017, after 11 months of GOP filibustering Merrick Garland
Can this country afford to have a president under investigation by the FBI?
– Republican Senator Marco Rubio, 2016
I will be honest. I sort of enjoy this back and forth, and I have all my life, but I have never seen more dishonest people than frankly the political media. I thought the business media were much more honest. I never get phone calls from the media. How do they write a story without asking me or how do they write a story in the New York Times, put it on the front page? That was like the story they wrote on the women and me, front page, massive story. And it was nasty. And then they called, they said, ‘I never said that. We like Mr. Trump.’ They called my office. ‘We like Mr. Trump. We never said that.’ It was totally—they totally misrepresented those very wonderful women.
– President Donald J. Trump, February 16, 2017
I believe it’s an unhealthy practice, and current levels of THC in marijuana are very high compared to what they were a few years ago, and we’re seeing real violence around that. Experts are telling me there’s more violence around marijuana than one would think and there’s big money involved.
– Attorney General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions, III, February 28, 2017
I directed the Department of Defense to develop a plan to demolish and destroy ISIS—a network of lawless savages that have slaughtered Muslims and Christians, and men, women, and children of all faiths and beliefs. We will work with our allies, including our friends and allies in the Muslim world, to extinguish this vile enemy from our planet.
– President Donald J. Trump, February 28, 2017, after campaigning on a super secret plan to defeat ISIS in 30 days
The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.
– Domestic Policy Advisor to the Nixon Administration, John Ehrlichman, 1994