Just so everyone knows… there has NEVER been a successful partisan filibuster of a #SCOTUS nominee in the history of the US #Senate.
– Republican Senator Mitch McConnell, March 29, 2017, leader of the first successful partisan filibuster of a SCOTUS nominee in the Senate
[Neil] Gorsuch filibuster would be 1st ever. Not even divisive [Clarence] Thomas nomination filibustered. Truth is D[emocrats] will filibuster anyone @POTUS nominates.
– Republican Senator Marco Rubio, March 28, 2017, after 11 months of GOP filibustering Merrick Garland
You’re talking about the frontrunner for the GOP, presidential candidate, as well as a private individual who never raped anybody. And, of course, understand that by the very definition, you can’t rape your spouse.
– Legal Counsel to the President Michael Cohen, 2015, when asked about allegations that Donald Trump raped Ivana
I think that it’s been an important reminder to all Americans that we have a judiciary that has taken far too much power and become in many cases a supreme branch of government. The end result of this, though, is that our opponents, the media, and the whole world will soon see, as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.
– White House Senior Policy Advisor Stephen Miller, February 12, 2017
The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!
– President Donald J. Trump, February 4, 2017, criticizing a federal judge who dared stay his travel ban for potential constitutional violations
We’ve never seen this kind of wealth in the White House, and so traditional rules don’t work. We’re going to have to think up a whole new approach.
In the case of the president, he has a broad ability to organize the White House the way he wants to. He also has, frankly, the power of the pardon. It’s a totally open power. He could simply say, ‘Look, I want them to be my advisers. I pardon them if anyone finds them to have behaved against the rules. Period. Technically, under the Constitution, he has that level of authority.
– Republican Newt Gingrich, December 19, 2016, when ask about Donald Trump’s conflicts of interest
I think the judge [Gonzalo P. Curiel] has been extremely hostile to me. I think it has to do with perhaps the fact that I’m very, very strong on the border. Very, very strong on the border. And he has been extremely hostile to me. This is a case that in our opinion should have been won a long time ago. It’s a case that we should have won on summary judgment… we have a very hostile judge. Now, he is Hispanic, I believe. He is a very hostile judge to me. I said it loud and clear.
– President Donald J. Trump, February 28, 2016